Saturday, April 11, 2020

Carach Angren - Lammendam (2008)

 I'll admit it. I can be one of those "judge a book by it's cover" type of listeners. When it comes to black metal, if I'm in the mood for something specific, I can be a sucker for a cool image. Carach Angren LOOKS like a band I would be super into. High concentration on image and concept albums makes me think, okay, I'll give it a try, and I did, with their 2015 album. Bad choice. I can't stand it. Lammendam is a stark contrast. This is a great fucking album.
     What initially turned me off about Carach (on their later albums, I mean) wasn't the exact idea of concept albums, it was the over-applied technique of breaking off into story telling. Which, I get it, it's totally their thing. I think it's a cool concept. Lammendam's use of the breakaways enhances the listening experience. The low that exists between ultimate symphonic black metal to sing-songy concept story telling is complementary. What I mean is, the art of their musical abilities isn't lost behind an overuse of  "story time". Lammendam shows that the members of Carach, without a doubt, have an undeniable talent at composing and performing multi-leveled arrangements. If you're underwhelmed by their later albums and looking to give them another chance like I was, 100% this album delivers. It's a shame they didn't stick with this ratio in their songs. I'm sure it makes for a better live show... maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment