Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (2006)

     A timeless classic mix between melancholy gothic metal and doom, Agalloch created Ashes Against the Grain, an album with huge emotion, exemplified in the first three minutes of the album. Limbs, the opening song, gives us a glimpse of how the entire album flows. It opens melodically instrumental, with an almost upbeat emotion; followed shortly by a turn to melancholy acoustic, more aggressive instruments and vocals. Ashes Against the Grain is another one of those "apex" albums as I've mentioned before. It's the sound you want to hear from Agalloch over and over again. (spoiler, you can, with Mantle and Marrow of the Spirit).
     If you're looking to get into something more grim and ambient than what folk metal Agalloch may have been previously known for, Ashes Against the Grain is memorizing as far as composition for what it's worth. This is hands down my favorite Agalloch album. I was first introduced to this band when I was only 15 through an incorrectly named Limewire song when looking for some ridiculous Cradle of Filth song. For almost 10 more years, I never figured out what this mislabeled "Limbs" song was until a local record store buddy recommended me this album. What I mean to say is, this album is timeless and unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment